Italian food is one of the most popular ethnic cuisines in America, but the Italian food people eat in America differs greatly from the Italian food you get in Italy.
I’ve been saying this for years, especially after hosting an Italian Aupair!
In reality, YouGov found that for Italians, many so-called Italian-American dishes are abominations, just like the way people eat them, and now a new poll reveals which they consider the worst.
- A new YouGov poll has looked at 19 ways foreigners have been accused of abusing Italian food.
- The results found 11 ways people eat Italian food that Italians find unacceptable.
- The absolute worst is eating ketchup with pasta, which scored a -82, meaning more people find it unacceptable than acceptable.
- Interestingly, Americans also feel this is quite unacceptable, with Americans scoring -42.
- But 11 countries surveyed think pasta and ketchup are perfectly acceptable, including Hong Kong (+79 and Indonesia (+76).
Other ways of eating Italian food that Italians find unacceptable include:
- Put the pasta in cold water then boil it (-71)
- Have pineapple on a pizza (-63)
- Have pasta on the side (-55)
- Cut long pasta with a knife (-46)
- Of which cream with carbonara sauce (-45)
- Have cheese on a pasta meal that contains seafood (-39)
- Rinse or cool the pasta under cold water (-23)
- Drink a cappuccino after an Italian meal (-23)
- Do not add salt to boiling water for pasta (-17)
- Have garlic bread with a pasta meal (-14)
But Italians aren’t against everything we Americans do when it comes to their food. They apparently agree with:
- Eat pizza for lunch (+89)
- Have bolognese sauce with spaghetti (+81)
- Eat pizza with a fork instead of your hands (+69)
- Have meatballs with spaghetti (+58)